Friday, January 30, 2009

Well this morning was very interesting. Rae had not even heard of Glastonbury so it came as quite a surprise to her. I found the place quite moving, the sense of history is so real. I think the guide book says it all, "a Christian sanctuary so ancient that only legend can record its origin." just for GM here is a shot of Arthur's burial site. There are actually two markers, one in the old cemetery where the monks found the bodies in 1191, and the site inside the choir of the great church where the remains were reburied in 1278 with Edward I as witness. The Museum is very well laid out and quite informative. The map showing the Abbey's properties in the surrounding area and further afield give a very good idea of what Henry was after. In wealth, the Abbot of Glastonbury (not that he owned anything) would have ranked quite high on the social scale.

Still quite cold this morning, but I'm begining to feel human again. We moved on and after stopping in to Frome to stock up on Gluten Free food for Rae at the Sainsbury's super store we were off to Amesbury and Stonehenge. (I must get around to constructing my little model when I get home.)
We didn't linger too long at stonehenge, it is surprising how cold it can get when the wind gets a good run up at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment